Homemade Soft Pretzels
Perfectly browned soft pretzels with your choice of flavors and dips! Drop additional desired variations in the comments below.
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsps Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 10 cups Water (at a gentle boil)
- 3/4 cup Baking Soda
- 1 large Egg (whisked)
- 1/4 cup Pretzel Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 cloves Pressed Garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese
- 2-3 slices Cheddar Cheese
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 3 Tbsp Mayonaise
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Dip
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Salsa (drained of excess liquid)
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers (roasted)
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, generously spray with oil, and set aside.
- In the bowl of the mixer, add the warm water, sugar, and salt. Sprinkle yeast on top so it can bloom. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then whisk to combine. Add the flour and butter and mix on low speed with a dough hook. Once combined, switch to a medium speed and knead for 4 minutes.
- Turn dough out and form a ball, oil with canola oil, and return to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, pre-heat the oven to 450°F and bring water and baking soda to a gentle rolling boil.
- Oil your work surface and cut the dough ball into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a rope, about 18 inches long. (Stop here if you are making cheese stuffed pretzels and see instructions below).
- To form a pretzel shape, take both ends of your dough rope and form a rounded shape at the bottom, like a half circle. Cross the two ends over each other to create the twisted center and gently press the ends into the bottom of the rounded bottom to secure them in place.
- Place the pretzels on oiled parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Once all shaped, place each pretzel into the boiling water, 1 at a time, for about 25 seconds.
- With a slotted spatula, remove it from the water and place back on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pretzels. (Stop here if you are making the cinnamon sugar pretzels and see instructions below).
- Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until deep golden brown.
Cheese Stuffed Pretzels:
- Cut the cheddar cheese slices into thin strips.
- Flatten out your dough ropes and place thin strips of cheese in the center of the dough, all the way around. Pinch the sides of the dough tightly up around the cheese. Proceed to step 6 above.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels:
- Skip the egg wash and salt. While pretzels are baking, melt the butter and set aside. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Once the pretzels are done baking, brush each with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Parmesan Garlic Pretzels:
- While the pretzels are baking, melt the butter and mix in 2 cloves of pressed garlic. Shred the parmesan cheese.
- When the pretzels are finished, brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with the shredded parmesan cheese. The cheese should melt, but if not then place in oven for 30-60 seconds.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients together and serve. (Makes about 1 cup)
Roasted Jalapeno Cheese Dip:
- Roast the jalapenos. Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- Slice the pepper in rounds, remove the seeds and place on an oiled baked sheet. Spray the pepper rounds with a light coating of oil.
- Roast in the oven for 4-5 minutes or until the edges begin to char or blacken. Flip and repeat on the other side. Remove from the oven and mince into pieces.
- Add butter, flour, and milk to a medium saucepan. Heat and stir until completely combined and thickened slightly. Add the cheese and stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Stir in the salsa and jalapeno pepper. Mix well to combine and serve.